Pig was initially developed at Yahoo! to focus on analysing large data and spend less time on writing mapper and reducer programs.
- Pig script provides a highlevel language to create map reduce jobs needed to process data in Hadoop Cluster.
- What if something goes wrong in between? Pig being a procedural language you can easily debug at each intermediate steps.
- For scenarios with complex job pig would be the best language to work with due to its debugging capability.
- Pig is extensible in the sense user can define their own functions to do special-purpose processing.
- Pig has 2 core components. First is the language Pig Latin and the second one being the runtime environment where Pig Latin programs would get execute.