In previous article Introduction to SAP HANA Multitenant Database Containers
we explained HANA MDC and its architecture. In this article, we will explain how you can convert an SAP HANA System to Support Multitenant Database Containers.
If your system was installed in single-container mode, you can still implement multitenant database containers by converting the system to a multiple-container system. The conversion can be done using the SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM) program in the command-line interface. Converting an SAP HANA system to a multiple-container system is permanent and cannot be reversed.
During the conversion process, the system database and one tenant database are created. The tenant database contains all the data of the original system, including users, system configuration, connection properties (port configuration), and system license. However, it does not contain the backup history.
After conversion, you can create and configure further tenant databases as needed.
- The SAP HANA system has been installed with its server software on a shared file system (export options rw, no_root_squash).
- The host has access to the installation directories and /.
- The statistics server is not running as a separate server process (statisticsserver), but instead as an embedded service in the master index server. If this is not the case, migrate the statistics server to the embedded statistics service as described in SAP Note 1917938.
- The SAP HANA system has been installed with the SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM).
- The SAP HANA database server is up and running.
- You are logged on as root user or as the system administrator user adm.
- The difference between the system time set on the installation host and the additional host is not greater than 180 seconds.
- The operating system administrator (adm) user may exist on the additional host. Make sure that you have the password of the existing adm user, and that the user attributes and group assignments are correct. The SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM) resident program will not modify the properties of any existing user or group.
Follow the below steps to convert HANA System to Support Multitenant Database ContainersStep 1:
Change to the SAP HANA resident HDBLCM directory:
By default, is /hana/shared.