Quick Sizer is a universal tool for sizing SAP systems and products. This is a web-based tool and is free of cost.
SAP HANA Database can also be sized using SAP Quick Sizer!
The Quick Sizer calculates:
- I/O resource categories
It calculates these based on throughput numbers and the number of users working with the different SAP solutions in a hardware- and database-independent format.
In this chapter we will see how to use Quick Sizer to calculate HANA size.
1. Create a New Project in Quick Sizer and select suitable option
- Start the QuickSizer tool by clicking this link. Note that you need acount in SAP service market place to download this tool.
- Give any project name and click on “Create Project”
- In SAP Quick Sizer multiple predefined scenarios can be selected, e.g.:
For each of the scenarios, the expected compression of the data is different.
- Rapid Deployment Solutions
- SAP NetWeaver BW powered by SAP HANA
- Standalone HANA
- Choose Standalone HANA
2. Specify source data footprint and active user details
- HANA memory sizing is derived from the size of the tables in the source database. Note that only tables must be taken into account. Space for indexes, temporary table spaces etc. must be excluded. Run the sizing script attached to SAP note 1514966 to obtain correct size information from your source database system catalog.
The number of users is optional. If you enter a user number, Quick Sizer checks if the CPU requirements are met by certified hardware configurations.
- Enter the Source data footprint (in GB) and number of concurrent user in the tool. In this example, we assumed that the source data footprint is 100 GB and no of user is 500.
- Enter the compression factor, i.e. the ratio of the sizes of uncompressed data tables (without their indexes) on the source database and the memory requirements of these tables in HANA. SAP strongly recommends using the default value if you do not have reliable information justifying a different compression factor.
3. Questionnaires - Specifics for SAP NetWeaver Powered by SAP HANA
In case you are doing sizing for SAP BW powered by SAP HANA, you need to provide some more information. The Quick Sizer questionnaires contain questions and algorithms specific to this particular scenario.
The Quick Sizer questionnaire enables you to specify the size of InfoCubes ?and Data Store Objects, along with average and peak load times, user groups, data upload information, and row and column footprints and compression. For example:
- Enter the Avg workday & Peak Load time
- Enter the user groups based on the usage, basically there are
- three types of users: Information Consumer, Business Users, Expert Users
- Enter the Data Upload records
- Enter the Row Table Footprint, Column Tables Footprint and Column
- Enter InfoCubes details
- Enter DataStore Objects
4. Calculate result
- Click on “Calculate result” and Quick Sizer will determine the system resources required to support the new solution based on the entered parameters
- Below image shows the results for the example scenario.
5. Get the Right Amount of Hardware
Once you have calculated the correct values for memory, CPU, and disk space to support your implementation needs, you can check for sample configurations at www.sap.com/benchmarks
You can also contact a trusted hardware vendor that can work with you to evaluate your sizing calculations to determine which of their offerings are suited to your configuration requirements.
Before purchasing hardware, consider also evaluating a new KPI called single computing unit (SCU) performance. SCU refers to the processing power of a single computing unit within a system. Hardware that has good SCU performance helps ensure faster process response times. More information about SCU performance can be found in SAP Note 1501701