- Index server is the main SAP HANA database component
- It contains the actual data stores and the engines for processing the data.
- The index server processes incoming SQL or MDX statements in the context of authenticated sessions and transactions.
XS Engine is an optional component. The XS engine is a web application server inside the SAP HANA system. It allows clients to access the SAP HANA system via HTTP. Application-specific services provided by the XS server are either created declaratively or by writing server side application code.
Index server and XS Engine are one of the most important core components of SAP HANA. We will learn more about it in the next chapter.
SAP HANA also provides different tools/applications which can be used by developers and database administrator to interact with the database. These are:
- SAP HANA Studio
- Web Based Development and Administration Tools
It enables technical users to manage the SAP HANA database, to create and manage user authorizations, to create new or modify existing models of data etc.
It is a client tool, which can be used to access local or remote HANA system.
The SAP HANA studio can be used by variety of users like:
System administrators utilize the SAP HANA studio, for example, to start and stop servers, to monitor the system, to configure system settings and to manage users and security, amongst various other things.
The HANA Studio is a client based tools which has to be installed in the client system. On the other hand these browser based tools can be used without any prior installation.
The web-based development tools can be used to perform many key development tasks like:
- Application lifecycle management
- Maintaining security settings
- Creating new applications
- and many more database management activities
In the next chapter we will learn more about all these components.