In previous article Overview of Data Provisioning in SAP HANA
, we explained various data provisioning technique in HANA.
In this article, we will learn more about SLT.
One of the main features of HANA is that, it can provide real time data to the customer at any point of time. This is made possible with the help of SLT (SAP Landscape Transformation) where real time data is loaded to HANA from SAP or Non-SAP source systems.
What is SLT?
SAP Landscape Transformation Replication Server (“SLT”)
- is for all SAP HANA customers who need real-time or scheduled data replication, sourcing from SAP and NON-SAP sources
- Uses trigger-based technology to transfer the data from any source to SAP HANA in real-time.
SLT server can be installed on the separate system or on SAP ECC System.
Benefit of SLT system
- Allows real-time or schedule time data replication.
- During replicating data in real-time, we can migrate data in SAP HANA Format.
- SLT handles Cluster and Pool tables.
- This is fully integrated with SAP HANA Studio.
- SLT have table setting and transformation capabilities.
- SLT have monitoring capabilities with SAP HANA Solution Manager.
SLT Architecture overview between SAP System and SAP HANA
SLT Replication Server transforms all metadata table definitions from the ABAP source system to SAP HANA.
For SAP source, the SLT connection has the following features -
- If your source system is SAP then you can install SLT as separate system or in Source itself.
- When a table is replicated, SLT Replication server create logging tables in the source system.
- Read module is created in the SAP Source System.
- The connection between SLT and SAP Source is established as RFC connection.
- The connection between SLT and SAP HANA is established as a DB connection.
- If you install SLT in Source system itself, then we no more need to have an RFC Connection
SLT Server automatically create DB connection for SAP HANA database (when we create a new configuration via transaction LTR). There is no need to create it manually.
The SAP Note (1605140) provides complete information to install SLT system.
In case SLT Replication Server is installed in the Source System the architecture will be as shown below
SLT Architecture overview between Non-SAP System and SAP HANA
- The above figure shows real time replication of data from non-sap sources to HANA system. When the source is non-sap we have to install SLT as a separate system.
- The main changes when compared to first scenario where source is SAP System are
- Connection between Source and SLT is going to be a DB Connection.
- Read modules will be in SLT instead of Source.
Components of SLT
The main components involved in real-time replication using SLT are
Logging tables are used to capture the changed/new records from application tables since last successful replication to HANA.
Read modules are used to read the data from application tables for initial loading and convert the cluster type tables into transparent.
The control module is used to perform small transformation on the source data. Data from here will be moved to write tables.
The functionality of write table is to write the data to HANA system.
Multi System Support
SLT Replication Server supports both 1:N replication and and N:1 replication.
Multiple source system can be connected to one SAP HANA system.
One source system can be connected to multiple SAP HANA systems. Limited to 1:4 only.